Friday, February 5, 2010

New doll style with instructions on doing the hair

I enjoy using Lionbrand Homespun yarn for the doll's hair. I wrap it around a loom and then run the middle of the loomed yarn down the center of the sewing machine. The length of the hair is determined by the width of the loom. My loom is only 4" wide, so when I want longer hair I use cardboard and use a width of 7-8", wrap the yarn around this loom, sew directly in the center (I move the yarn off of the cardboard, little by little). I then handstitch the loomed yarn to the dolls head, starting at the top of the head and directly onto the seam, continue around the doll's head. If more hair is needed at the crown, just make another short strip of hair on the loom. I also like to glue the hair to the head, this catches any hair that I might have missed while hand sewing the hair to the doll's head. I will talk about drawing the face in my next blog. I look forward to hearing from you.